I recently had to query the VCDB database of vCenter Server 6 but had an appliance deployed and since not using a MS SQL database server I had to do some digging to figure out how i can get access.
My favorite tool to query the database I found to be pgAdmin III but this is installed on my jump server so here are the steps i following to allow pgAdmin to connect to the internal postgresql database on vCSA 6!
- Enable SSH for vCSA.
- Login as root
- shell.set –enabled True
- View following 2 files for information on database installation
- General server information and password for superuser.
- Stores connection information for vCenter server database VCDB (password for vc user
- Edit /storage/db/vpostgres/pg_hba.conf
- Add following lines to add your own subnets to be able to connect to PG
- Host all all / md5
- Edit /storage/db/vpostgres/postgresql.conf
- Add the line to end of file: listen_addresses = ‘*’
- Restart posgresql /etc/init.d/vmware-vpostgres restart
- Open port on vcsa appliance firewall:
- iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp –dport 5432 -j ACCEPT