This solution is for vCenter Server hosted on a Windows OS. I am just providing the short and sweet version since VMware KB 7960893 provides very detailed information on this process.
- Create new database on new server
- Setup users on new database instance and provide security access with same permissions.
- Shutdown all vcenter services
- Shutdown all vcenter update manager services
- Backup databases
- Restore databases on new database server
- On vcenter server, copy all the scripts for SQL Agent rollup jobs that need to be recreated in new database server instance
- KB 1004382
- Update DSN entries for vcenter server and venter update manager to reflect new database server location.
- Start vCenter services
Note: In some instances, it is necessary to update the vcdb.properties file with the new SQL server if the SQL database name is referenced here. If this is not updated, the performance overview charts and the Storage Monitoring Service (SMS) may be affected after migrating the vCenter Server database. For more information, see VMware vCenter Storage Monitoring Service fails with the error: Service initialization failed (2016472). The vcdb.properties file is located at:
- Windows 2008 – C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter
- Other Windows versions – C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\