We recently purchased new storage so the new datastores had to be added to vCloud director, and all the vApps migrated over. There are many ways to go about doing this but the best solution I found was to create a new storage cluster and put all datastores in it and also create a new storage policy and profile. I have been told it is also possible to just perform a storage vmotion on the VM’s but i had mixed results with this approach. Here is my information which I hope might be useful to someone.
In Vcenter server:
- Create tag category (I called mine “storage policies” to keep it simple”, but description can also be used to describe the function)
- Create tag and add to category
- Open VM storage policies
- Create new VM storage policy
- Select vCenter
- Enter a policy name
- Provide description
- Add tag-based rule and assign newly create tag from tag category.
- I ALWAYS FORGET to enable the policy so here is not to you doing the same 🙂
- select the new policy name
- 2nd icon from left is “Enable VM storage policies per compute resource.
- Assign the newly created tag to datastore cluster
- Assign the newly created tag to each datastore within the cluster.
In vCloud director:
- Under Manage & Monitor tab select vCenters from vSphere resources.
- Right click the vCenter server name and select “refresh storage policies
After you get the storage profile to show in storage policies you have to assign it:
- Go to Provider VDC and open it
- Select storage policies tab
- Add new storage policy!
- There is a BUG in 5.5.1 which does not refresh or show the storage policy and an outage is actually necessary to clean up the database with a script (not very nice but works)
- Go to Organizations and open the one which will be using the new storage
- Select Virtual datacenter tab
- Select Storage policies tab
- Add the new storage policy
- If you want the new policy to be the default – Right click the new storage policy and select “Set as default”
Migrating vAPPS to new storage profile:
- The best method I found was to shutdown the vAPP and right click select “move to” and then each individual VM select the new storage policy.
- You can also do this with a powered on VM and go to properties and change the storage polic