Just out of blue started receiving the following error after trying to scan my ESXi hosts with baseline group:
“The host returns esxup error code:99. An unhandled exception was encountered. Check the update manager log files and esxupdate log files for more details”
well the /var/log/esxupdate.log on ESXi host showed the following error, but not much else:
Metadata.pyc: INFO: Unrecognized file vendor-index.xml in Metadata file
Tracked down the KB: 2043170 which allows for the update manager database to be rebuild without having to reinstall update manager: Please be aware that you will loose all your settings, bundles, drives, extensions, etc!
- Backup the update manager database
- Stop update manager service
- open command prompt on server where update manager is installed
- Go to update manager installation folder
- run the following command:
- “vciInstallUtils.exe -O dbcreate -C . -L .” (Both . should be used)
- After completion restart the update manager service
- Login to vcenter server
- Within update manager, within configuration tab perform the “download now” task.
- Re-import any offline bundles, async drivers, third party extensions, and ESXi upgrade bundles.