5.1.2 Build 1068441 vmware-vcloud-director-5.1.2-1968441.bin
5.5.0 Build 1323688 vmware-vcloud-director-5.5.0-1323688.bin
I run a RHEL virtual machine with vcloud director installed, so before starting the upgrade I fully patch the RHEL environment.
vCloud director 5.5 release notes:
Pre upgrade checklist for potential edge gateway problems:
Upgrading vCloud director documentation from VMware which I recommend reading:
- As always, first off start with BACKUPS
- Create snapshot of vCloud Director virtual machine.
- Stop the vcloud services
- backup the vCloud database. We have a SQL server were the database resides.
- Create another 3de party backup. In my case i made use of Commvault to take a snapshot backup of the VM as well.
After you have upgraded vShield manager, you must upgrade all vCenter servers and hosts before you upgrade the vShield Edge appliances that the upgraded vShield Manager manages.
To upgrade ESXi host to 5.5 as well as upgrade the vCloud agent, perform the following steps in conjunction with vCloud director:
- From vCloud Director right click host and select disable the host
- Right click same host and select “Redeploy all VMs
- On vCenter Server put the ESXi host into maintenance mode
- Attach host upgrade and patch baseline to ESXi server.
- Remediate host
- Once complete from vCloud director right click host and select “Upgrade host agent”
- Take host out of maintenance mode and wait for vSphere HA agent install to complete
- Within vCloud Director you can enable the host again.
- Login to vshield
- Select the datacenter for which you want to upgrade.
- Select network virtualization tab
- Select Edges
- Select the edge and click on actions -> Upgrade.
- I did find that after the edge upgrades the users was not able to get connection through the vCloud Edge gateway. To resolve this i redeployed the Edge gateway with following steps:
- Login to vCloud
- Select organization
- Select VDC
- Select Edge Gateway tab
- Right click edge gateway and select Re-Deploy.
- This will recreate the edge gateway but will not loose any settings configured on it.
Upgrade problems experienced:
During step 9 of database upgrade I received the following error message:
Error: Unable to update database statistics. Database user has insufficient privileges to update database statistics. To complete this step manually, run ‘EXEC sp_updatestats’ as the DBO or a member of the sysadmin fixed server role.
Fix: On the database server (SQL) provide the vCloud user account with sysadmin server role. Run the command as provided in error against the database.
Error: http error 500 after upgrade when opening the vCloud director login page
Fix: Add the text“login.jsp” to the end of the vcloud page URL so you could use a local login. Then disabled SSO under federation services within vCloud director if you are not using it. I my case we make use of windows authentication and not SSO.